Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A Cautionary Tale

Skips Tingly Prawn Cocktail




On Sunday I took another trip to Jungle Jim's (because I can) and, of course, I picked up several more bags of chips. Among them was a bag of "Skips Tingly Prawn Cocktail" caught my eye. Tingly, huh? The Walkers Prawn Cocktail had been ... interesting, but what the heck would make that "tingly"?

On opening the bag I was greeted ... no, assaulted ... by the odor of a pound of raw shrimp left in the trunk of a car for a week in July.  To paraphrase Chef, these don't have a fragrance that promises, they have a smell that threatens.

Dumping a few out, I discovered that they're not potato chips.


They're some kind of puffed, processed ... thing. Well, I like all sorts of processed things, so I might as well try these. How bad could they possibly be?

Answer: very. They taste almost exactly like they smell.

The weird part is that I ended up eating three or four of them. It wasn't because they were strangely compelling. It wasn't even because shock caused me to keep forgetting the experience of eating them. No, it was because I simply couldn't believe that they were really that awful. It was essentially the culinary equivalent of a double-take.

The maker of this fine product is KP Snacks, who describes Skips this way:
Playful by nature and fun to eat, Skips is the uniquely fizzy, light, melt in the mouth snack.  Forty years on, it's just as popular as ever, selling three bags every minute.  Best known for its legendary prawn cocktail flavour.
I can see why the flavor would be "legendary", after all the bubonic plague is legendary so why not.

I really don't get the "fizzy" aspect though. They didn't fizz at all for me. What they did do was melt, and in the exact same way as those ecologically friendly foam packing material pieces.  A quick check of the ingredients label explained why.


Skips are primarily tapioca starch. The dissolving packing foam is mostly corn starch.

These things really are just flavored foam packing material.


Um ... no, thank you.

Rating: 1/5


No comments:

Post a Comment